Moving Tips for Sellers
- Give your forwarding address to the post office, usually two to four weeks ahead of the move.
- Notify your credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, and bank of the change of address.
- Develop a list of friends, relatives, and business colleagues who need to be notified of the move.
- Arrange to have utilities disconnected at your old home and connected at your new one.
- Cancel the newspaper.
- Check insurance coverage for moved items. Usually movers only cover what they pack.
- Clean out appliances and prepare them for moving, if applicable.
- Note the weight of the goods youll have moved, since long-distance moves are usually billed according to weight. Watch for movers that use excessive padding to add weight.
- Check with your condo or co-op about restrictions on using the elevator or particular exits.
- Have a first open box with the things youll need mosttoilet paper, soap, trash bags, scissors, hammer, screwdriver, pencils and paper, cups and plates, water, snacks, and toothpaste.
Plus, if youre moving out of town:
- Get copies of medical and dental records and prescriptions for your family and your pets.
- Get copies of childrens school records for transfer.
- Ask friends for introductions to anyone they know in your new neighborhood.
- Consider special car needs for pets when traveling.
- Let a friend or relative know your route.
- Carry travelers checks or an ATM card for ready cash until you can open a bank account.
- Empty your safety deposit box.
- Put plants in boxes with holes for air circulation if youre moving in cold weather.